Monday, December 10, 2007

Tomando gin* y jugo

So last weekend Lizzy visited, and this weekend I got to hang out with yet another fellow American- none other than the Capital S oh yes so fresh N double O P D O double G Y D O double G ya see? Yep, Snoop Doggy Dogg rolled into town, and Benja and I just had to be there. The concert was unprecedented in two ways: not only was it the first time in Chile where I understood more than the majority (and got to translate things like "Chile has the loveliest mother----in' ladies in the world" for Benja), but it was also the first (and probably last) time I was actually glad that 90 % of Chilean dudes are shorter than me. Snoop was great, and it was a really interesting cultural experience as well. Benja was very concerned that I would be robbed. The next day at the dinner table I realized this was because the concert had a lot of, according to my family, "gente flaite," a.k.a. common, ordinary... basically, poor people. I said that I felt more at home than ever, surrounded by hip-hop style, and my host dad responded that maybe in the U.S. it's harder to distinguish who is "flaite," but here you can tell. Don't get me wrong, I'm very lucky to be living in a lovely apartment in such a nice part of Santiago, but I'm also trying to take what my family says about other Chileans with a grain of salt. After all, it was basically me (a starry-eyed gringa) and Benja (a.k.a. Carlton Banks) in the middle of this "rough crowd," and we were just fine. But maybe that's just the magic of Snoop.
Ed.'s note: According to my dear friend and former Chilean Laura Coco, the best translation she heard for "flaite" was "sketchy." I assumed that the word was classist, or at least my fam's use of it, because my bro was also laughing about how a Chilean rapper, Zaturno, was shouting out certain poorer neighborhoods and all the "gente flaite" were freaking out. So basically, I don't know if "flaite" is always classist, but I definitely got that vibe.
*O.k, Benja saw this blog and said that nobody translates gin into Spanish, it's just "gin." Whoops!

1 comment:

Laura said...

hahah i have a shirt that says "flaite is more fun"
love you!