Friday, September 18, 2009

Teacher's Day ´09... still lovin' the gratuitous gifts

Last year I celebrated Teacher's Day at Hogwarts with dinner out with my boss and Anto, the secretary. This year, despite the fact that there were THREE new teachers horning in on my territory, my boss took us all out to eat! I was FORCED to split a bottle of wine with the vodka-lovin', heavy drinkin' British prof since all the native Argentines chose to abstain (don't worry, your girl did not make a spectacle of herself... well, aside from eating 2 giant pieces of cake, but I would have done that without the wine). We talked a little about our students and got to know each other better, and it reminded me how much it helps to realize that other people are in the same boat. I even started to feel affection for the 22-year-old Argentinian Scarlett Johannson lookalike teacher who always seems to rub it in my face that my students are farther behind than hers.
And of course, the gifts:
A potted plant (second year in a row)
Purple body spray
An awesome pink ballpoint pen
A box with candy and an inspirational poem from my boss
Earrings from my other bosses
A little necklace
A hand towel
...SCORE!
My adult students did not give me anything. However, they have already informed me that they expect a dessert and/or song for this Monday, Student's Day. Ingrates.

1 comment:

Uncle Allen said...

Abby,
Got up to date with your Blog postings today. Love your spirit!
Write more...even the comments on simple things are interesting to someone who has never been closer to South America than Cancun.
Uncle Allen