Thursday, November 22, 2007

Chillin', po. ¿ Cachai?

Hello loyal readers!
First let me say what a treat it was to have dinner and lunch with my stepsister (and fellow blogger) Amy and her pals on Monday. It was really awesome to see three girls like me traveling all over the place and doing just fine. And now, an update on my Spanish classes (for those who don't know, I'm taking four hours of Spanish a day for three weeks, and then two weeks of TEFL certification after that). The good news is that the teachers (we have a ton who rotate in) are almost all really nice and I'm learning and reviewing a ton of important stuff, plus getting to watch (at an achingly slow pace) the super-steamy and weird "Como Agua Para Chocolate." The bad news: the class where I was planning to meet all of my charming and adventurous friends turned out to consist of two people: Stebrushka*, a 24 year old Russian gal, and Arnold*, a 65 year old bag of bones, complaints and bad grammar. On the second day of class Stebrushka was absent and Arnold freaked out (after not being able to pronounce the word abofetear, or to slap, ironically), shoved his notebook across the table and said "Me cansé! Esa pelicula no me sirve! Lo siento!" (I'm done! This movie doesn't help me! I'm sorry!") and then left the class! Now he lurks outside waiting for his wife to finish her beginner classes, but at least he's out of our hair! Stebrushka, on the other hand, is very nice and has become my lunch partner. I kinda feel like she's my shy Russian mom, but hey, I'll take what I can get.
My dreams really came true last night, though, when my 26 year old bro Benja let me come with him to a friend´s apartment to watch the Chile/Paraguay soccer game (a humiliating defeat for my new home). Finally, I got to hang out with some Chileans! Granted they all talk super fast, inserting "po" and "huevón" (idiot, a play on huevos, not only Spanish for eggs but also testicles, obviously) between every word, but they were super welcoming. I was the first to get a refill on my piscola, and was constantly being offered seconds of some dip with bacon, beef, cheese, sour cream, green pepper and who knows what else! There were a few awkward moments in there, like when I asked Daniel, a.k.a. Enano, a.k.a. Gnome, if there were Chilean sports that were more popular with women and he said "planchar¨... ironing. Another guy piped up with "carrerras con la aspiradora," or vacuum cleaner races, but I'm almost positive they were pulling my leg.
I wish I could tell you guys more about Santiago, but the truth is I still haven't gone past Las Condes and Providencia, the two ritziest neighborhoods. On Saturday I think my host dad's going to take me to downtown Santiago, so I'll have more to report then. Chau huevones!
*Names have been changed to protect the innocent/super obnoxious.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Abby, We missed you this Thanksgiving. I am so glad to be able to keep up with you and what you are doing. Good luck in your new venture! Love, Grammy
I am using Gail's google account.

Unknown said...

Hey Abby, I have really enjoyed reading your blog so far, and I especially like the photo of you and Amy :^) . Have fun, and keep on bloggin! Love, Gail

Emma said...

abby, i miss you so much it hurts! keep the posts coming, i can't wait to hear more!

Jazmyne said...

Oh Abby Loveofmylife Loomis- sounds like you are really doing great! I am so proud of you for going out and, well, just DOING IT! I know you are up for the challenge!! Lots of love, and I MISS YOU!!

And keep the blog posts coming- they are the absolute highlight of my day!

Love love, Jaz